Are you interested in being a Foster Parent?
REASONS TO BECOME A THERAPEUTIC FOSTER PARENT:
• The number of children in foster care in Hawai’i and across the United States has been steadily increasing, with currently almost a half million children in foster homes (Department of Health and Human Services: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/cb/afcarsreport22.pdf).
• Without safe homes only about 50% of foster youth graduate high school and very few graduate college (National Foster Youth Institute: https://www.nfyi.org/issues/education/).
• Almost 25% of foster youth will be homeless within two years of exiting the foster care system (Covenant House: https://www.covenanthouse.org/homeless-teen-issues/statistics).
The good news is that foster parents can make a very real difference in the lives of children everyday! They provide stability, model healthy family interactions and relationships, teach values, share their homes, their lives, and can be a lifeline for a child who really needs it.
Of course raising any child is not always easy, and youth in therapeutic foster homes come with their own life experiences. Which is why Child & Family Service provides:
• 24/7 support
• A generous stipend
• One weekend off each month
• A Therapist & a Life Skills Specialist is assigned to each child
Many of our youth successfully reunite with family, some have enrolled in college, a large percent have gone on to have jobs in the community and lead independent lives with the skills they have learned from you while in our program.
When you become a Therapeutic Foster Parent, the child placed with you will likely share your home and your life for a short time, between 3-9 months. But during that time you will have countless opportunities to nurture the youth’s growth and development in supportive loving ways and positively shape that child’s life forever. Be part of a child’s success story. Your community needs you!
For more information on the Transitional Family Home / Respite Home program, click here.