Are you interested in being a Foster Parent?
Call 808-365-3380 to learn more and apply!
REASONS TO BECOME A THERAPEUTIC FOSTER PARENT:
- The number of children in foster care in Hawai’i and across the United States
s has been steadily increasing, with currently almost a half million children in foster homes (Department of Health and Human Services: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/cb/afcarsreport22.pdf).
- Without safe homes only about 50% of foster youth graduate high school and very few graduate college (National Foster Youth Institute: https://www.nfyi.org/issues/education/).
- Almost 25% of foster youth will be homeless within two years of exiting the foster care system (Covenant House: https://www.covenanthouse.org/homeless-teen-issues/statistics)
THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT FOSTER PARENTS CAN MAKE A VERY REAL DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF CHILDREN EVERYDAY!
They provide stability, model healthy family interactions and relationships, teach values, share their homes, their lives, and can be a lifeline for a child who really needs it.
Of course raising any child is not always easy, and youth in therapeutic foster homes come with their own life experiences. Which is why Child & Family Service provides:
- 24/7 support
- A generous stipend
- One weekend off each month
- A Therapist & a Life Skills Specialist assigned to each child
Many youth successfully reunite with family, some have enrolled in college, a large percent have gone on to have jobs in the community and lead independent lives with the skills they have learned from foster parents while in our program.
When you become a Therapeutic Foster Parent, the child placed with you will likely share your home and your life for a short time, between 3-9 months. But during that time you will have countless opportunities to nurture the youth’s growth and development in supportive loving ways and positively shape that child’s life forever. Be part of a child’s success story. Your community needs you!
Call 808-365-3380 today to learn more about this opportunity.
For more information on the Transitional Family Home / Respite Home program, click here.