Special Schools - Hauíoli Na
Keiki School and Mehana School
Specialized Schools for Children with Autism
Child and Family Serviceís Special Schools: Hauíoli Na Keiki and Mehana provide services that are individualized to the studentís IEP/MP goal and objectives by working in conjunction with the studentís IEP/MP team and home school special education teacher. At both Hauíoli Na Keiki and Mehana, a studentís academic, communication, social, self-help, and vocational skills are addressed through a variety of mediums.
- Academics are a strong component of the curriculum and are based on the studentís IEP/MP goals in compliance with state standards. Academic lessons are aligned with the DOE educational philosophy and are modified to suit each studentís strengths and needs.
- Communication deficits are addressed through tasks related to a studentís IEP/MP, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), speech therapy, computer software, picture communication books, voice simulators and other assistive technology.
- Social needs are address through social stories, group activities, scripting and modeling.
- Self help skill and vocational skills are taught 1:1 using an applied behavioral analytic approach.
Services are provided to Hawaiiís families via a referral by the Department of Education. Please contact your childís school Student Services Coordinator or Child and Family Service for more information.
Services are funded by the Hawaii Department of Education
As a participant in a Child and Family Service program you have the following rights:
- The right to a humane service environment
- The right to services free from unlawful discrimination
- The right to be involved in your own service planning
- The right to confidentiality except when otherwise mandated by law
- The right to services which are least restrictive and most convenient
- The right to file a complaint if these rights are infringed
Students are expected to:
Parents are expected to:
- attend school daily
- participate to the best of their ability
- participate in service planning
- maintain communication with program staff
Hauíoli Na Keiki
91-1841 Fort Weaver Road
Ewa Beach, HI 96706
Phone: (808) 681-1532
810 Pohukaina St.
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 589-0500
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-2:00pm