Kahi Pulama“To Cherish and Pass the Torch”
Child & Family Service (CFS) Internships
Providing an array of services that span throughout the Hawaiian Islands, CFS is able to provide you with a unique opportunity to incorporate the knowledge you’ve obtained from the classroom and apply it to practice.
CFS is a great place for students to learn and grow in the field of social work. There are opportunities to work in a variety of settings, including working with infants and young children who have been abused or neglected, at-risk teens, children with behavioral and emotional difficulties, families with drug history, domestic or sexual abuse histories and older adults with no family caretakers. Our clients are part of the tapestry that is our community and through a field placement in our agency, you will learn as much from them as they will learn from you.
Along with the opportunity to be paired with a practicum instructor for a two-semester placement, CFS is excited to offer three new placement options. These placement opportunities (School Settings, DV Settings, and Youth Care Settings) will allow you to experience three distinct programs settings throughout placement. This opportunity will allow you to see how Social Work is delivered in the same programmatic area but in different settings.
• Alternating practicum settings to include: Hale O Ulu School and Ka Pa Ola.
• Client population to include children and adolescents from 12 to 18.
• Practicum setting allows the opportunity for social worker involvement in a variety of school settings, including an alternative high school.
Domestic Violence Settings
• Alternating practicum settings to include: Domestic Abuse Shelter, Developing Options to Violence, Domestic Violence Advocacy
• Client population to include infants through adult.
• DV practicum includes the opportunity to work in all aspects of intimate partner abuse; both victims and offenders.
• Individual and group work.
Youth Residential Care Settings
• Alternating practicum settings to include: Ka Pa Ola (Waipahu) and Therapeutic Foster Homes (Oahu)
• Client population to include children through adolescents, 3 to 18 years of age.
• Practicum focuses on child and adolescent mental health, with one of the settings focusing on adolescent females.
As a practicum student at Child & Family Service, you will be given the opportunity to work with other professionals within the field, while practicing Social Work at the micro, mezzo, and macro levels. This will provide you with opportunities to learn about various elements of a social service organization including: legislative advocacy, direct service, proposal development, and administration. You will be provided with weekly supervision from a master’s level social worker.
Our goal is to provide you with a unique practicum experience that will prepare you for your career as a social worker. Your success is our success.
Director of Quality Assurance & Training
E-mail: Christie Onato
Child & Family Service President & CEO, Howard Garval interview on Hawaii Job Engine!